Access levels not working as it should

General question about the editor, problems, solutions
stlewa

Access levels not working as it should

Postby stlewa » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:42 am

I have just installed Dynamic List Editor in our ClearQuest application (ver. 7.1.2.1) and can't get the access levels working in the web client. According to the documentation a user with "Dynamic List Administrator" privileges schould be able to update Dynamic Lists. That doesn't work... I have to set the access level to "Super User" to get it to work.
In the "classic client" it works fine but not in the web client. Any tips?

Pavel

Re: Access levels not working as it should

Postby Pavel » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:41 am

stlewa wrote:I have just installed Dynamic List Editor in our ClearQuest application (ver. 7.1.2.1) and can't get the access levels working in the web client. According to the documentation a user with "Dynamic List Administrator" privileges schould be able to update Dynamic Lists. That doesn't work... I have to set the access level to "Super User" to get it to work.
In the "classic client" it works fine but not in the web client. Any tips?

- Is there any specific error you are getting?
- Was the user database upgraded after "Dynamic List Editor" right was granted to the user?
- Did the user re-login after permissions were granted and the database was upgraded?
- Could you try to test it using "Classic" client on the Web server machine?

The update action access control hook is simple, and if it works for full client on the server, it should work for CQWeb as well.
The editor was tested with CQ 7.1.2, but there is a possibility that you hit a bug in this specific ClearQuest fixpack. If updating the server is not acceptable, the workaround would be to create "Dynamic_List_Editors" user group and replace "Update" action access control hook with the group-based access control list.

Thank you,
Pavel

stlewa

Postby stlewa » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:29 am

Thanks for the reply!

- Is there any specific error you are getting?
- Was the user database upgraded after "Dynamic List Editor" right was granted to the user?
- Did the user re-login after permissions were granted and the database was upgraded?
- Could you try to test it using "Classic" client on the Web server machine?

- No error message (the alternative "Dynamic List" is just not shown in the drop down menu)
- User databse has been upgraded
- User has re-logined
- Haven't tried this because it's not me running the servers...

The workaround you are mentioning made me look into the scripts for the Stateless Record type "Dynamic List". The access control hook for the "Update" action looks like this:

Function Dynamic_List_AccessControl(actionname, actiontype, username)
' actionname As String
' actiontype As Long
' username As String
' Dynamic_List_AccessControl As Boolean
' action is Update
' record type name is Dynamic_List
' Start User Code
dynamic_list_AccessControl = DL_AccessControl()
' End User Code
End Function

Even if I'm not into programming it seems to me that this script dosen't do anything, so how is the access control working then?

Best Regards/
L

Pavel

Postby Pavel » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:39 am

stlewa wrote:- No error message (the alternative "Dynamic List" is just not shown in the drop down menu)

The dynamic list administrator cannot create new entities of the dynamic list (the super user can do it), but he or she can update existing entities by running the query, selecting desirable dynamic list, and using "Update" action to change the dynamic list content.

stlewa wrote:Function Dynamic_List_AccessControl(actionname, actiontype, username)
' actionname As String
' actiontype As Long
' username As String
' Dynamic_List_AccessControl As Boolean
' action is Update
' record type name is Dynamic_List
' Start User Code
dynamic_list_AccessControl = DL_AccessControl()
' End User Code
End Function

Even if I'm not into programming it seems to me that this script dosen't do anything, so how is the access control working then?

The script allows to perform "Update" action based on return value of the DL_AccessControl() function, which is true when the user has superuser or Dynamic List Editor privileges. If this action access hook works for the full client, it should work for the CQWeb client as well.

Thank you,
Pavel

stlewa

Postby stlewa » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:48 am

Pavel, thanks for your help!

Have continued my research and found that when I say it works in the "Classic" client that refers to the Windows client. In the Eclipse environment it's not working. Can that be a clue?

Tanks/
L

Pavel

Postby Pavel » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:59 am

stlewa wrote:Have continued my research and found that when I say it works in the "Classic" client that refers to the Windows client. In the Eclipse environment it's not working. Can that be a clue?

Yes, it might indicate a ClearQuest bug. Have you tried opening a PMR with IBM?

BTW, could you describe, step by step, what are you trying to do?

Pavel

stlewa

Postby stlewa » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:18 am

Pavel wrote:Have you tried opening a PMR with IBM?

No, I have had no contact with IBM so far.

The purpose is to give one of my colleagues the opportunity to manage Dynamic lists in the web environment. Searching for a way to solve that issue I found the "Dynamic List Editor" software, which was exactly what I was looking for.

Then I...

- downloaded and installed the software
- changed my colleagues access level in the "ClearQuest User Administrator" to "Dynamic List Administrator"

...having done that I verified the function with my own user (with "Super User" rights) and found that I had a "Dynamic List" choice in the drop down menu. Trying to do the same verifying with my colleagues account there was no such option.

After that I have noticed that it is wokring (logged in with her account) in the "ClearQuest for Windows" client, not working with the "ClearQuest Client" (Eclipse) and not with the Web client.

Regards/
L

Pavel

Postby Pavel » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:15 am

stlewa wrote:
Pavel wrote:Have you tried opening a PMR with IBM?

No, I have had no contact with IBM so far.

The purpose is to give one of my colleagues the opportunity to manage Dynamic lists in the web environment. Searching for a way to solve that issue I found the "Dynamic List Editor" software, which was exactly what I was looking for.

Then I...

- downloaded and installed the software
- changed my colleagues access level in the "ClearQuest User Administrator" to "Dynamic List Administrator"

...having done that I verified the function with my own user (with "Super User" rights) and found that I had a "Dynamic List" choice in the drop down menu. Trying to do the same verifying with my colleagues account there was no such option.

After that I have noticed that it is wokring (logged in with her account) in the "ClearQuest for Windows" client, not working with the "ClearQuest Client" (Eclipse) and not with the Web client.

Regards/
L

The drop-down list allows you to create new entities of the "Dynamic_List" record type only. Each record corresponds to a Dynamic List existing in the schema.
In order to modify Dynamic List content (add/remove/update entries in the dynamic list), you need to "Update" correspondent "Dynamic_List" record.
Did you use the installation wizard ("Setup ClearQuest Schema for Dynamic List Editor" option in Setup, or "Setup ClearQuest Schema for the Dynamic List Editing" wizard in the Windows Start menu)? In this case, "Dynamic_List" records for all Dynamic Lists already created for you.
The user with "Dynamic List Administrator" privilege can query "Dynamic_List" records (again, if you used wizard or followed manual installation instructions, this query was created in "Public Queries\Administration\Dynamic_Lists"). This privilege allows to execute "Update" action in order to modify correspondent Dynamic List content (add/remove/update entries in the dynamic list).

Pavel

stlewa

Postby stlewa » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:25 am

Pavel, thanks for your patience! I'm not so experinced with this, trying to learn...

stlewa wrote:if you used wizard or followed manual installation instructions, this query was created in "Public Queries\Administration\Dynamic_Lists").

Seeing what you wrote about the query (which I've also have read in the instructions), a query I don't have, I was starting to realize that I must have missed something during the installation. Decided to take it from the beginning by doing a reinstallation. During the installation, reaching the step "connecting to the database" I got an error:

Error message:

CRMOM0008E String returned from
the CQ Perl is not in the local code
page, "1252 (MS Windows Latin 1)".
The string is "CRMUD0054E These
fields have invalid val" (264 characters
in total).
The following characters are invalid:
U+9870 at 225
U+0269 at 235
U+e214 at 245
U+0140 at 255

By clicking "OK" in the error box the box is closed and the Setup wizard box says that the instalation is complete.

(The same error appear when I'm trying to open the Setup from the program menu).

Any new clues?

Regards/
L

Pavel

Postby Pavel » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:30 am

stlewa wrote:Any new clues?

What is a ClearQuest code page you are using for the schema?

Code: Select all

installutil lscodepage -dbset <connection name> <username> <password>

It looks like there might be an issue with the wizard related to some of the code pages. I will need to run some tests.
The workaround would be to complete setup using the following steps of the manual procedure (starting "Importing First Dynamic List" step if you already tried to run the wizard for the schema).
http://cqadmin.org/wiki/ClearQuest_Dyna ... namic_List

You can also try to download and re-install the new version of the Editor (released today). It should better handle non-ascii code pages.

Pavel

stlewa

Postby stlewa » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:57 am

Pavel wrote:What is a ClearQuest code page you are using for the schema?

The code page used is: 1252 <MS Windows Latin 1>

Pavel wrote:You can also try to download and re-install the new version of the Editor (released today). It should better handle non-ascii code pages.

Done this it went a bit better with the installation, no error message but instead an info saying:

-------------------------------------------------------------

"The installation was completed. Some issues were detected while loading data\n$warning"

------------------------------------------------------------

In the background the "command window" says:

-----------------------------------------------------------

Connecting to the database...
Initial data load completed.
Some issues were detected:
CRMUD0054E These fields have invalid values:
Values...
CRMMD1785E The field "Values" contains characters that are not supported by the
data code page, "1252 <MS Widows Latin1>". The following characters are invalid:
(and here is a sign that I can't find on my keyboard...) at 1
(and here is a sign that I can't find on my keyboard...) at 2
(and here is a sign that I can't find on my keyboard...) at 3
(and here is a sign that I can't find on my keyboard...) at 4

Loading worspace (the misspelling, missing k, is actual on the screen) item...
Workspace was loaded.

------------------------------------------------------------

Thereafter the installation is finnished.

Pavel wrote:The workaround would be to complete setup using the following steps of the manual procedure (starting "Importing First Dynamic List"

I opened the Setup and runned the "SyncAllLists" command just to experince the same problem. Now with a "Runtime Error" message followed by an "Application Error" and an "Error box" with an "OK"-button that closed the program.

Hope this will help you in your further investigations.

/L

Pavel

Postby Pavel » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:23 am

stlewa wrote:CRMMD1785E The field "Values" contains characters that are not supported by the
data code page, "1252 <MS Widows Latin1>". The following characters are invalid:

First of all, please run all tests on the test database instance. Second, please make a backup of the current lists using "importutil exportlist" command.
There are two possibilities:
1) either the data in the dynamic list contains invalid characters (invalid for the configured character set, 1251), or
2) there is a bug in the ClearQuest API.

In both cases, I cannot proceed further without data. Could you export the dynamic list in question (using importutil exportlist command) and send it to me?

Thank you,
Pavel

Return to “ClearQuest Dynamic List Editor Q&A”